Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Friends No Matter What



 Logan cradled the scraggly tabby as lovingly as he would a long-haired Angora primped and ready for show.

He took her out to the reception area as he gently cooed, “Let’s go see your mama and tell her you have to stay overnight. A night of peace is what you need, Bellisima. It’s convincing Mrs. Silverstein that’s going to be tough.”

He plastered a smile on his face before facing the Cat Lady as everyone affectionately called her.

That done and after sending a softly weeping Cat Lady away--probably to find yet another stray to bring to him-- he went to the back scratching the cat’s ears.

“Simone, Bellisima needs rest.  Could you....?”  He froze in his tracks gaping at the last person he expected to see here at his vet office.


“Hey, Logan,” Jimmy said sheepishly.

“Hey, Jimmy,” he mumbled, “What are you...is Rufus okay?” he asked anxiously.

“He’s great,” Jimmy replied forcing a smile. “You know that dog’s as strong as an ox and twice as healthy.”  He swallowed hard, tersely adding, “Can we talk?”

“You have time, Dr. Haven. Peppermint wasn’t in the mood for a shot and Sandy took him home,” Simone volunteered, eying Jimmy with unabashed interest.

“Are they ever in the mood for a shot?” Jimmy retorted giving her his most charming, heart-melting grin.

She giggled and held her hands out to Logan. He merely stared at Jimmy dumbfounded. 

“Can I take Bellisima now so you can talk to your friend?” she asked.

“Huh? Oh, yeah...sorry,” he said snapping out of his trance. She took the softly purring cat and left them with a smile for Jimmy.

Jimmy smirked and watched her walk away. “She’s new,” he said casually, “And cute.”

And barely eighteen, Logan thought, although when did that ever stop Jimmy?

“Come in my office and we can talk,” he said bracingly.

Or would Jimmy prefer to punch him in the mouth as he’d done at their last meeting? He had to remind himself that he deserved it.

Logan sat at his desk warily watching Jimmy. What in the world did they have to say? Hadn’t they said it all already? Hadn’t Logan in essence ruined their friendship? 

“Would you like a drink?” he asked stiffly. He’d never felt more uncomfortable in his life. But what did he expect after causing the breakup of his best friend’s marriage?

“I’m good. I’ve been thinking,” Jimmy said expectantly.

About how best to kill him? Logan wondered.

“I imagine you have,” he replied blandly as he fiddled with a ceramic German Shepard he used as a paperweight, his prized possession. Claire had given it to him when he started his own practice. Guilt overwhelmed him. “Jimmy...”

“I’m sorry, Logan,” Jimmy said.

“You’re sorry?” Logan asked, incredulous.

“You were right.”

“Right?” he repeated stupidly.

“Claire was yours first.”

“Mine first?”

“Are you going to say everything I say?” Jimmy asked laughing.

Logan could barely breathe for the constriction in his chest. “Uh...Jimmy, I’m the one that’s sorry. I hate doing this to you.”

Jimmy shrugged. “No big deal. Claire was right, too. We never really loved each other. It’s all my fault. I got in your way. I was just too stupid to see it. But you should have told me. If I knew you had a thing for her I wouldn’t have...well, maybe I would have anyway. She’s kinda hot, but I would have tried not to,” he said adamantly.

Logan couldn’t believe his ears. Jimmy apologizing to him. This was too much to grasp.

“Anyway, I was sitting in the tree house and...” Jimmy continued casually.

“Tree house?” Logan said, confused.

“My tree house and I remembered all the stuff we used to do up there. Remember the time we hid there when my brother and his girlfriend were making out and we threw water balloons at them? They were so pissed!”

Jimmy laughed uproariously. Logan, on the other hand, felt his soul rip apart. The loss of their friendship, ruined by his undying love for Claire, was the worst thing about this sad episode and there was nothing he could do about it.

Jimmy sobered quickly seeing no reaction from Logan. “We had a lot of fun there. It was a good hiding place too. Remember how you hid up there when you were scared to go home when we broke your mom’s favorite lamp? I went over to your house and told her I did it. You didn’t get in trouble, but my mom said no TV and made me wash dishes for a month,” he said reminiscently, a huge smile on his handsome face.

“Are you trying to kill me? Cuz it’s working, damn you!” Logan snapped pushing out of his chair, turning his back on him and glaring out the window.

Shocked, Jimmy opened and closed his mouth several times before finding the words.  “No, I just...”

“Punishing me, yeah, I know. And the worse thing is I deserve worse. There’s nothing I can do, Jimmy. I love her beyond reason and now that I know she loves me too... has for such a long time... I just can’t let her go. I’m sorry,” he said. Damn it, he was about to cry!

“But there is one thing you can do and that’s my point. I don’t want to lose you. You’re my best friend, Logan.” Jimmy said. “No reason we can’t be still.”

Logan turned to stare bewildered. “No reason?” he repeated.

“Yeah, nothing’s changed as far as I can see,” he said reasonably.

“Nothing’s changed?” Logan said, incredulous.

“Are you going to repeat everything I say again?” Jimmy asked smirking.

“Jimmy, I’m in love with your wife and...”

“Soon to be ex-wife,” Jimmy added sensibly.

“We want to get married and...”

“I always wanted to be your best man,” he interjected.

“We want to have kids and...”

“I’d love being Uncle Jimmy,” he replied enthusiastically.

“I don’t want things uncomfortable for Claire.”

“So, I won’t come to your house. She’ll let you have a night out with me. She’s good like that.  At least she’ll know you really are out with me. Noble and righteous Logan she can trust… unlike me. You can come home and get it on with her without her worrying you got some girl’s perfume on you,” he said dismissively.

Logan glared at him. “I told you we’re not yet,” he said stiffly.

Jimmy looked perplexed. “Not what?”

“Not having sex.”

Jimmy’s mouth fell open, then he laughed himself silly.

“All right, I get it. Logan, you don’t have to worry about hurting my feelings. Don’t have to lie to me. It’s cool. You love her so... you’re gonna do it. You have my blessing.”

“I’m not lying. You may not believe it, but I still honor the sanctity of marriage. You’re still married to her.”

“ Please, tell me you’re kidding,” Jimmy said, half astonished, half exasperated, “You can’t tell me you have her sleeping in another bedroom.”

Logan frowned. “She’s not living with me, Jimmy. Didn’t she tell you? She’s at her sister’s.”

“What the hell for?” he shouted. “Thought you said you guys were in love.”

“Love, Jimmy, not lust. You always get those mixed up, don’t you?” Logan said irritably.

Jimmy laughed until he thought he’d die.

“Nobel and righteous to the very end,” Jimmy said still chuckling, “We’re separated, Logan, surely that’s good enough for even you.”

“We take sinning seriously, Jimmy and that would be the ultimate.”

“No, killing would be the ultimate,” Jimmy retorted with a sigh, “Does that mean you’re waiting until the divorce is final? That can be more than a year, you know.”

“She wants an annulment. That can be longer,” Logan said bracingly.

“Oh, hell no! I’m not letting her do that to you. We’ll go to Mexico. They give divorces out like tissues. Then you can get married and start your honeymoon. It’ll be my wedding present to you,” he said with complete confidence.

Emotion welled up in Logan’s chest. It sure seemed Jimmy had forgiven him. “Jimmy, are you sure?” he asked quietly.

“Sure I’m sure. Mexico’s awesome. Went for a conference last year. Senoritas muy caliente,” he said grinning devilishly. “Of course, that’s if we can still be friends.”

Logan grabbed him in a massive bear hug and squeezed the air out of him. “I love you, Jimbo,” he whispered.

“You’re so queer,” Jimmy mumbled with a huge grin across his face, “I love you, too,” he said reluctantly.

He hugged him back fiercely. He had his best friend back. That’s all he wanted... that and Simone’s number, of course.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?