Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Use your love


“It’s me. Josie’s on vacation… far away. Come around and talk it over,” Mike muttered into the phone as he looked around the place. No, it wasn’t clean, but good enough for Vanessa.

“You know I like my girls a little bit older. I just wanna use your love tonight,” he said gruffly. In a softer tone he added, “I don’t wanna lose your love tonight.”

There were so many things he wanted to say, but he left it at that. She’d understand. She got him as no one else could, not even Josie.

He hung up and tossed the phone onto the unmade bed. He walked into the living room running his fingers through his hair. He couldn’t stop his hands from shaking. What the hell was that about? In his mind it didn’t make sense. Sure, he shouldn’t be doing this, but Josie would never know. She hadn’t known about the other couple of hundred times. Besides, they weren’t even married. This didn’t even count.

He heard the car door and nearly tripped in his rush to the front door. Yanking it open, he watching her talking to his neighbor, Mr. Dretcher, who was forever pruning his roses, even now with the sun setting. Mike wished she wouldn’t do that. He always got nasty looks from the old geezer and he suspected why. He didn’t approve of Mike’s shenanigans.

“I ain’t got many friends left to talk to. They be dropping like flies,” Mr. Dretcher said. “No one’s around when I’m in trouble.”

“Well, I’m your friend. Just call me anytime, okay?” Vanessa said, her lyrical, lilting voice carrying to the door.

“You be a sweet lass,” he said smiling. He caught sight of Mike at the door and frowned. “Go on, Nessie. He be waiting on ya…deserve better, you do,” he mumbled and turned back to his flowers.

She approached Mike slowly. Too slowly, Mike thought. He could barely contain himself. He wanted her bad.

“Hey,” she said.

He pulled her inside and kissed her roughly. “It’s been a while since we’ve been all alone,” he muttered, kissing her neck. “You know I’ll do anything for you.”

“Stay the night?” she asked needlessly. She knew the routine.

“Yeah, but don’t forget what I told ya.”

“Keep it under cover?” she said.

“Yeah,” he said, now pulling her shirt off her shoulders.

“No,” she said quietly.

“What?” he asked.

“I can’t hide the way I’m feeling and neither can you,” she replied.

“What?” he repeated.

“I want you all to myself.”

“Can’t happen.”

“Could if you cared to,” she countered. “You said you don’t wanna lose my love.”

“I…you heard wrong.”

“You’re lying.”

“You’re lying to yourself,” he snapped.

“Why, Mike? Why can’t you....” she pleaded.

“Find another shoulder to cry on,” he snarled, pushing her away.

“I know you love me,” she said.

“Just cuz you’re right…. doesn’t mean I’m wrong,” he replied turning his back on her.

“Then this goodbye is forever,” she said, quietly.

Her words pierced his heart, but he feigned indifference. “As you leave me, please, could you close the door?”

“When you die, Mike, they’ll do an autopsy and find dust where your heart ought to be.”

He clenched his fists, waiting. He punched the wall only after the door slammed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?