Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ch2 Insanely Eccentric


“You’re insane! You do realize that, don’t you?” Ben growled.

Jordan grinned at his older brother as he lazily folded his shirt before placing it carefully into his suitcase. “And I keep telling you when you’ve got enough money it’s called being eccentric,” he replied.

“Eccentric is showing up at a business meeting wearing a flowery bonnet and a loincloth. Going to Europe with a complete stranger is insane,” he retorted.

Jordan straightened up looking pensive. “I should do that. Would any of those sourpusses at our corporate meetings even crack a smile if I showed up wearing a loincloth and flowery bonnet? Be worth doing it just to see their reaction.”

Ben glared at him. “Will you be serious for a minute?”

 “I am. I’ve been working on my abs. I could get away with a loincloth. The flowery bonnet, though... not so sure about that,” Jordan said.

Ben made his typical growling sound and tossed a pillow at him. “What are you thinking, Jordan? This woman could be a psycho or worse. You don’t know her,” he said anxiously.


“Sure I do. I hired her remember? I know loads about her, more than she’d ever guess. I check out my employees carefully, you know.”

“Women have completely different work and non-work personalities,” Ben said. “Look at Geri. She’s a competent, reasonable, agreeable person when she’s selling houses, but let me forget her birthday and she becomes a total be-atch.”

Jordan laughed. “Geri is a sweet girl and you shouldn’t ever forget her birthday. She’s your wife for Pete’s sake.”

“She forgets mine all the time and I don’t freak out about it,” Ben replied grumpily. “But that’s not the point. This woman, you only know her work face. Her real personality could be way different and not good different.”

Jordan sighed. “I’m okay with that, Benny. I just want some company and she needs a little time away from work. You know I found out she hasn’t taken a vacation in the two years she’s been at Willow Brook. She works too hard. She worked her way through college, you know. I don’t want to lose someone as good as Ariana to stress and burn out. If I have to be the one to force a little time off then so be it. I’ll be killing two birds with one stone. I have some people I need to meet with abroad and I could use a vacation, too.”

“Always the multi-tasker,” Ben said derisively.


“Why thank you, Benny,” Jordan said, smiling and folding a pair of pants before packing them.

“That wasn’t a compliment. I worry about you, Kid. You’re so idealistic it scares the crap out of me.”

“What idealistic? I’m not in love with her. I’m not going to marry her in Paris if that’s what you think. We’re friends, friends going on a little trip. That’s all.”

“If I could only believe that, Jordan, but you’re track record proves otherwise. Need I mention Helene and Nancy? Those were two very close calls.”

Jordan scowled. “I was foolish with regards to them, that’s true, but I’ve learned my lesson. No more self-absorbed super models. No more giving away diamond engagement rings to a cheating dinner whore. I traded it in for this trip,” he said.

“And what is this?” Ben asked, holding up a tiny black velvet covered box that had been sitting half hidden behind a small clay figurine Ben’s daughter had made in art class for her favorite uncle.

Caught in the lie, Jordan shrugged. “I didn’t get around to getting rid of it. I’m rich. I don’t need the money. You can have it. Have it redesigned for Geri. She’ll forgive all those forgotten birthdays,” he said.

Ben opened the box and nearly passed out. “Holy crap! It’s huge! How much did this thing cost?”

“Enough,” Jordan said carelessly. “It’s not real—I mean really from South African diamond mines. I won’t ever buy real diamonds now that I know how they treat their workers. Is that what you’re worried about? My money?”

“Well, since you seem completely unconcerned about it someone should be,” Ben said still eying the glittering stone. “Sure looks real.”

Jordan smiled. “Benny, I’ve got plenty.”

“For how long, though? You’re spending it like it’s water. What are you going to do when it runs out? Create another computer advancement, mobile app or whatever you do and sell it to the highest bidder? Yeah, that won’t be too difficult! All you’ve worked for will be gone and your charities will be out of luck, won’t they?”

“Benny, you don’t really know how much I have, do you?” Jordan said in quiet awe.

“That’s hardly my business. I just don’t want you to lose it all,” Ben said. “I know how hard it is to earn a living. Believe me.”

“Let me reassure you then. I have more money than any sensible person could possibly spend in a lifetime. Every one of those charities as you call them are self-sufficient. The money I set aside for each allows them to function well into eternity barring major global catastrophe. And if you’re worried about your inheritance, don’t. It’s quite safe.”


“What inheritance?” Ben asked stunned.

Jordan folded another shirt before answering. “Not really inheritance. I just don’t really know what to call it. Trust fund doesn’t sound quite right either. Just know that you and Mike won’t have to worry about sending your kids to college.”

“What…what do you mean?” Ben whispered.

“It’s sort of like a tax thing. It keeps the IRS off my back and saves me loads on taxes.”

Ben stared incredulous. “We have seven kids between us,” he muttered.  “You can’t be serious.”

Jordan grinned and turned to the dresser pulling out underwear and sticking them in the bag. “I’m quite aware of that. I love those kids...as if they were my own,” he stated simply.

 “You can’t possibly put all our kids through college.”

“Think I can.”

 “I can’t even calculate how much that is. Seven kids even at a community college...” Ben shrieked.

“I’ve got accountants for that,” Jordan replied carelessly. “And there’s no way they’re going to community college. Even beauty school is better than that!”

Ben blinked and looked around his brother’s very humble dwelling. “So, is that why you aren’t living in a mansion and why you don’t have a butler doing this packing for you?”

Jordan laughed. “One has nothing to do with the other.  I don’t need a mansion and I don’t like other people touching my undies. At least not stuffy old butlers,” he retorted.

“Be serious, Jordan.”

“I am serious. I just don’t like looking as if I am.”

“Jordan, this just makes it more crazy for you to take this woman to Europe. Paying her way, no doubt,” Ben said.


“Why shouldn’t I? I have the money and I need the company. I offered her the trip alone, but she said she’d rather I come, too, as protection. I don’ blame her. Awful things can happen to folks on their own in foreign countries, especially a nice looking woman like Ariana.”

“So you admit it. She’s pretty.”

“Is that a crime now, Benny? Yes, she’s very pretty but I already told you. We’re just friends. She made that perfectly clear and I agreed. After what we both have recently gone through it only makes sense to be cautious.  So we’re both safe, she from unwanted advances and me from money-grubbing women.”

“That’s not how I see it. Jordan, she could just be playing you and you, naive as you are, wouldn’t ever see it coming. Mike thinks I should just hog-tie you and bring you home with me before you do something really stupid.”

Jordan laughed again. “Oh, Mike, what a pal! I’m surprised he didn’t come with you. Where is our dear brother?”

“Julie had a dance practice and Fran had to work late so she couldn’t take her or he would’ve been here too. He’s better at talking sense into you, but you’re stuck with me,” Ben said.

“I like the company,” Jordan replied.

Ben watched him folding his clothes. “Is that it, Jordan?” he asked softly. “You’re lonely? Why don’t you get Mom and Dad to come with you?”

“Mom would instantly get the idea that Ariana and I are more than just friends. She’ll start planning wedding rehearsal dinners before I could say otherwise, don’t you think?”

“I meant take them instead of this bimbo,” Ben said, exasperated.

“She’s not a bimbo,” Jordan said slightly annoyed. “Dr. Ariana Maglioni is the best Geriatric doctor around. She’s caring and kind to the point of neglecting her own needs. She’s barely away from Willow Brook and that is exactly why I’m taking her to Europe with me. I like her, Benny, and I could really use a friend right now, probably as much as she can. She’s had it rough lately and I want to help her. Please, don’t worry about me. Even if I did the nuttiest thing possible, got drunk and actually got married to her in Vegas by some Elvis impersonator there is still the pre-nup which I would make any woman sign before any vows are spoken. I’ve learned at least that much. Not so naive and idealistic anymore, all right?”

Ben suddenly looked sad. “Nancy really did you in, didn’t she? The bitch! She ruined my little brother,” he said angrily.

Jordan chuckled. “You say I’m too naive and that upsets you and now you hate it that I’m not. I’m starting to think this insanity you claim I have is contagious or perhaps you’ve inherited some of it.”

“You’re my little brother. I’m supposed to be the smart one and take care of you. You’re doing it all backwards. You shouldn’t be setting up my kids for a free ride to school or anything like that,” he said warily.


“It’s the only thing I can give you to show how much I care about all of you,” Jordan said placing the last of his clothes in and zipping up the bag. “Well, I’m done. Want to grab a beer before I head on out? Gotta pick up Ariana. She should be getting home soon.”

“There’s nothing I can say to make you not take this doctor girl?” Ben said.

Jordan smiled and shook his head. “I’ll be fine. Send you postcards and everything. It’ll just be two weeks. Unless...”  He paused for emphasis.

“Unless what? Work?” Ben asked frowning.

“No, unless the Italian countryside makes me pop the question and then, well, we’ll have to stay for a honeymoon and then....”

“Oh, shut up!” Ben snapped, half annoyed, half amused.

Jordan laughed, slapped his brother on the back and led the way to the kitchen. No amount of worrisome talk was going to lessen his good mood. He was looking forward to this vacation and it actually would be only a vacation. He was planning no work this time--yes he had lied to his brother. 

He wanted to spend all his time personally getting to know this new friend, Ariana. He just had a feeling good things would come from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?