Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dinner with the ex-wife




“Well, isn’t this nice?” she said with a satisfied smile.

It made Stephan’s jaw clench in irritation but he realized Donna might just get that smug expression wiped right off her beautiful face after he told her of his plans, assuming, of course he ever got the nerve up to actually say it. But that would have to wait. Not that he wanted to spend any more time with his ex-wife than was absolutely necessary, but he truly didn’t know how to do this. He needed more time to think.

He had searched his feeble brain and come up with nothing. There was no easy way of telling his ex-wife he was once again in love and getting married. He had even practiced in the mirror like kids do before their first big date. He gave up and decided something would come to him eventually. Well, eventually was here and now and still he was blank. He had begged the kids not to tell Donna about Samantha and amazingly they hadn’t. Now he wished they had. It might have made things easier for him.

“Oh, Lordy,” he muttered as a silent prayer once he helped her into her seat.

“Like the view, do you?” she slyly replied smiling up at him.


He knew exactly what she meant, but no, he hadn’t given her low-cut, tight-fitting, way too short dress a second look. Her nearly exposed breasts, however, were drawing every other man’s eyes as she intended. She loved attention especially if it was of the leering, lustful variety. Stephan was used to it. That was the only rationale he had to hope for a good outcome of tonight, her total disregard for his feelings.

Donna no longer loved him, if she ever did. He was certain of it. Surely that meant he had nothing to worry about. She wouldn’t care if he were married again, would she?

She very well might. Her sultry eyes and sexy grin mocking him he could take, but what if she started to cry? Or worse, what if she got angry? She could easily make it virtually impossible for him to see the kids let alone what he was about to propose, joint custody. She would balk, he just knew it and they’d be back in court fighting like cats and dogs. He didn’t want to put the kids through that again. He knew from the past two years, and beyond if truth be told, she could make all their lives miserable without breaking a sweat.

It was the last thing he wanted when he was so close to happily-ever-after. But then Donna had also ruined his first shot at that, so what would make him think she would let him be happy now? Wishful thinking no doubt. Perhaps if he kept her placated and content, not ruffle her feathers and complimented her all through dinner, then maybe, with a bit of luck, a truckload of luck, she might not be her usual, nasty witch self. Again, more wishful thinking.


God help him but that was his only prayer. The wine steward came by just then and he ordered her favorite. May as well start plying her now. Perhaps if he could get her tipsy? No, that wouldn’t work. She only got nastier when drunk, nasty and amorous. She might jump the waiter before the night was out. He repressed a smirk and tasted the wine. He never did like this Merlot, but he had to suck it up tonight. Think of the kids. Think of Lucy and Brian. That was all he had to do. Focus on the goal, a normal family life for them and himself. He took a fortifying breath and let it out ever so slowly in an effort to calm his nerves.

Donna’s smug expression only increased. She put down her glass and reached out to softly touch his hand. She let her long taloned fingers trail lightly down the back of his hand and smiled coaxingly. “Why so nervous, Stephan?”

“I’m not,” he replied automatically.

She giggled. “You forget, Darling. I know you,” she retorted.

“And I know you. So what?” he replied stiffly. He willed himself not to be bated into her favorite sport, teasing him into a cat fight. “How are the kids? Brain told me last week about a project he had to do for social studies. Let him know I can help him whenever he wants.”

“Now, Stephan,” she said silkily, still caressing his hand.

How he wished she wouldn’t, but he dared not stop her. Allowing her her fun was simply safer.

“You didn’t bring me to my favorite restaurant to talk about the kids, did you? No, you didn’t. But let me put you at ease. I already know why we’re here so relax.”

His eyes widened but he said nothing. His heart had stopped and his tongue wouldn’t work.

She laughed and wrinkled her pert little nose at him like she used to do when she wanted to tease him into submission and bring him down to his knees begging for anything she would give him. It had always worked before, but much to his own amazement, he found himself pleasantly and utterly immune now.

The waiter came just then and they ordered. Or rather he ordered and she made a big show of flirting with the young man. Probably, she was hoping to rile her former husband into a jealous fit. She would be sadly disappointed. Stephan looked on with a benign smile plastered on his face as if watching a boring tennis match.

After the waiter left she frowned slightly. “Are you feeling all right?”

“Me? Fine and dandy, thank you,” he said placidly.

She frowned more. “Aren’t you going to ask how I know?” she asked.

“Know what, Donna?” he said innocently.

“Why you asked me here on this date?”

He stared at her frowning anxiously. “This... this is not a date. I mean, we are divorced, after all,” he replied apprehensively. 

He had told Samantha he was taking his ex-wife out to dinner to tell her about them, but he now wondered if she thought he was sort of cheating on her. He certainly hoped not. He didn’t want to do anything to hurt Samantha. She’d been hurt enough by her own ex. He had been about to excuse himself to call her and set things straight when Donna interrupted.


“Of course this is a date. It doesn’t matter that we were once married. But anyway, once married always married, isn’t that what God says?”

He gaped at her. “Since when do you listen to anything God had to say?” he said before he could stop himself.

She gave a lilting laugh and tossed her golden head back. “You’re right. I never did quite hear anything like a divine voice.”

“Not even Jiminy Cricket, I’d say,” Stephan mumbled behind his wine glass.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” she replied.

“I have to make a phone call,” he said, about to get up but again she held him back.

“Stephan, will you please stop,” she said slightly irritated. She then smiled and calmly continued, “I heard the kids talking when they thought I wasn’t around. It’s fine. So, can we please just enjoy this night without having to talk about it yet? I knew it was coming soon, but it can wait, can’t it?”

He stared in complete astonishment. He mutely nodded and she went on talking animatedly about all things Donna, her hair stylist, her nails, her new clothes, her work at the real estate office and the huge commission she just got for selling a mini-mansion to a city-weary industrialist who she reported gleefully was quite good-looking, recently divorced and looking to settle down again.

Stephan heard bits and pieces, but mostly marveled at how different Donna was from Samantha. How he had loved this woefully self-centered , manipulative, insensitive woman was beyond his comprehension. Had he truly been that blinded by beauty? It disgusted him to think of it.

The one good thing about dinner with his ex-wife was he could allow her to ramble on and on with only the pretense of listening and the occasional nod or “Uh-huh, yeah, right, you’re kidding, okay,” and be otherwise thinking of the Rangers game or better yet of Samantha. He couldn’t help comparing the two. Donna was beautiful in a Faith Hill, glamourous sort of way. Samantha was more like Sandra Bullolk, pretty, adorable and cute.

He couldn’t help smiling to himself. Apparently, he was blinded by Samantha, too. Only difference was she was beautiful on the inside as well. She was quirky, funny, kind and so lovable. But more than anything he loved her honesty. He never got that from Donna. That’s what especially counted with him. Just thinking of Samantha made him all warm and fuzzy on the inside. How he wished he were with her at that exact moment instead of here having a candle-lit romantic dinner with the ex-wife.

“You must really like that cake,” Donna said intruding on his wayward thoughts.

“Excuse me?”


“You have a dreamy expression on your face,” she replied smiling impishly. “It must be really good. You don’t usually get that look unless I’m doing extraordinarily nasty things to you, like that time for your birthday in New Orleans when we...”

“Donna, this isn’t the time nor place for such talk,” he admonished.

“I thought you liked it when I talk dirty. Gets you in the mood to play. Isn’t that what you want?” she asked coaxingly.

He glared at her. “Don’t you ever quit?” he said through clenched teeth. He pushed back his dessert dish and motioned for the check. The waiter came by quickly and departed again with Stephan’s credit card.

Donna leaned forward with her chin propped onto her hand giving him a sultry look. “What’s wrong, Stephan? Too eager to get me in bed? What makes you think I’ll give in so readily? I might require some...seducing.”

He glowered at her until the waiter returned. He signed the check and swiftly stood up. “Are you staying?” he asked. He was annoyed now and no longer able nor willing to refrain from showing it. “Perhaps you could do the waiter out by the trash cans. That would be your style.”

She gave him a reproachful look. “This is no way to get a girl to comply with your deepest desires, Love,” she retorted icily.

He said nothing, knowing she was perfectly right. He had to be civil. Think of Lucy. Think of Brian. Think of life with Samantha, her kids and his own all together, happy.

They drove in silence to Donna’s house. The kids, thankfully, were at their friend’s house for the night and wouldn’t have to hear what Stephan knew would be a miserable discussion. He should have listened to Jason and done it over the phone. Or better yet, he should have done as Jimmy suggested and just e-mailed Donna the wedding announcement. He dreaded this worse than a root canal, a tax audit and a prostate exam put together.

He opened the car door for her and helped her out. She smiled up at him and pressed her body invitingly to his kissing his lips lightly, teasing. “You playing the bad cop tonight? Want me to be a high priced call girl or ...”

“Stop it!” he shouted, completely losing his cool. He grabbed her hand pulling her to the house. He took the keys out of her bag and unlocked the door. He had to refrain from shoving her in and impatiently waited for her to slink on in. She looked cool and thoroughly amused. He, however, was infuriated.

She was already two steps up the stairs when he barked, “Come here. We need to talk even if you already know about Sam.” He then turned into the family room leaving her where she stood.


“What the hell happened here?” he yelled indicting the horribly messy room. It looked as if a tornado had hit it. Dirty cups and dishes were scattered about, cat hair covered every surface, magazines were piled haphazardly on the coffee table, clothes, school books, toys and sundry other things were strewn everywhere.

“Don’t you ever clean? Don’t you ever tell the kids to put their things away?”

She finally came in, her smug expression replaced by confusion. She ignored this and asked, “Who’s Sam?”

He gaped at her. “Samantha. You said you heard the kids talking about her, didn’t you?” he said.

“Her? I heard Lucy ask Brian if he thought you would ask me to marry you and he said real soon. Who is Samantha?” she said.

He gulped uncomfortably. Is that what she was thinking? That he wanted her back? This was too incredible and far worse than he imagined. But surely she didn’t want to. She just wanted to tease him until she said no like she’d been doing since she cheated on him. He sighed and shoved the magazines aside to sit on the coffee table. He shook his head in wonder. What was he going to say?

“Stephan, who is Samantha?” she repeated stiffly.

“My fiancé, Samantha Treina. I think you might know her. Our kids are friends with her kids,” he answered stoically.

“Fiancé? Samantha Treina? Jeff’s wife?” she sputtered incredulously, becoming more shrill with each word. “You have got to be kidding!”

He abruptly stood up. “Which part is so unbelievable, Donna? That I could fall in love again, that I could stop pining for you or that I’m about to marry the woman whose husband you were carrying on with for over a year before it was all out in the open?” he snapped. He watched her eyes widen in horror. “Yes, I knew you were cheating on me all along, but I said nothing. I didn’t want to upset the kids and I hoped you would eventually stop, at least for their sake. I was willing to forgive everything for their sake. Samantha on the other hand, had had quite enough of Jeff. You weren’t his first tryst, you know, just the most humiliating one. She divorced him soon after she found out. Too bad I didn’t know her then. We might already be married and happy.”

“But you love me,” Donna said, her chest rising and falling quickly. “And I love you. We just needed some time apart to regroup and to...to get things on a better footing and...”

“Better footing?” he repeated barely containing his anger. “And who was it that got us off the right footing by sleeping around? I’m pretty certain it wasn’t me.”


She stepped up to him and placed her silky arms on his chest. “Stephan, I was just playing. I was bored and confused, but I’m not anymore. We can be fine now. We’ll be better than ever. I love you, Stephan. You know that. I never stopped.”

“You are really something, Donna,” he angrily said pulling away from her. “Had you said any of that two short months ago, before I met Samantha, I would have been stupid and lonely enough to jump at the chance to get back together. The kids would have loved it.”

“They still will. We’ll be a family again. No more every other weekend. You can see them every night. You want that, don’t you?” she said desperately. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. He shoved her back and she fell onto the clothes strewn couch.

“They might have liked the idea before, but they no longer do. They know I’m happy with Samantha and they like the idea of having a step brother and sister. You heard them talking about me and Samantha not me and you. They like Samantha and they want to live with us. We’re buying the Marlin house just down the block so they can come over whenever they like. You should be thrilled as that’s your commission, isn’t it?”

“Stephan, you can’t be serious. You can’t marry her and take my kids away to live with that bimbo. We’re a family. We belong together,” she said fiercely.

He shook his head in disbelief. “Since when? You never wanted to be with me, but I was too stupid to figure it out before. I thought I was so lucky when you first went out with me and then when we had sex! Well, for a naive college kid I thought I had it made. But then I got you pregnant and you actually wanted to marry me. Frankly, I couldn’t have been happier. To marry such a beautiful woman, one beyond my wildest dreams and to have a family with her forever, I thought I was the luckiest guy ever. The Gods were smiling down on Stephan Bromwell! But it wasn’t the Gods, was it, Donna? No, paradise soon went to hell. Tell me, honestly, if you can manage it, how many others were there?”

“Other what?”

“Men, lovers, man-whores, whatever you want to call them,” he said.

She suddenly got a spiteful gleam in her eyes. “Plenty, as a matter of fact, since you want the truth, Brain and Lucy are not your kids.”

He laughed. “You are not actually expecting me to believe that, Babe. Need I remind you that Brain couldn’t possibly look more like me if he were cloned and Lucy’s the splitting imagine of my sister. She looks nothing like you. Everyone always comments on it.”

“It’s true. So, you can forget about taking my kids. You are not the father,” she said confidently.


He narrowed his eyes and approached her and he was quite sure he looked just as threatening as he felt. “You dare say anything so vile to my kids and I will make this hell for you, Donna, just like you’ve done for me. Can’t you be decent for once? Our petty squabbles only hurt the kids. I don’t want to do that anymore. I want joint custody, but if you make it difficult I’ll go for full. And I’ll get it. Remember, the kids want to live with me and it doesn’t have to be down the block if you keep up this vendetta. Your choice,” he growled. He took a calming breath then added, “We can at least pretend to be friendly in front of the kids. Thank you for the lovely night out, Donna. I enjoyed myself greatly.”

“Yes, I know you did. You were smiling throughout. So, you’ll excuse me when I don’t believe you think you’ll be happy married to that ugly little thing when you could have me,” she shouted bitterly.

“Honey, I was thinking of Samantha all night. I think I’ll go say good night to her. I miss her. Kiss the kids for me and tell them I’ll see them bright and early Saturday,” he said casually as he turned and left.

With a bounce in his step and a lightened heart he hopped into his car and grinned. Dinner with your ex-wife wasn’t so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?