Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Guest post: Marika's Unicorn by Alexandra Heep

"So, are you really a unicorn?" Marika asks.

"Well, are you really a girl?"

Marika giggles as Sugar Magnolia emphasizes her return question with a toss of her chestnut mane and a snort.

"Of course I am! I am in third grade already and my Mom says I am smart for my age. But, my teachers and most kids say that unicorns don't exist. I asked my parents and they say they believe in them, yet have never seen one. Oh, we have pictures of them in our house, but they are all white. You are brown with white spots. How come?"

"That is because my dad had white hair and my mom had brown fur. How about humans, do you think you all look alike?"

"I guess we don't. I never realized a difference until I moved two winters ago and people told me I was white. I told them that they were wrong and that I was peach, but they all laughed. I don't know why they call themselves black anyway. I never noticed really, but now that they told me they are, I still say they are wrong. To me they look purplish or tan and different browns really."

Marika adjusts her seat in the saddle to be more comfortable while waiting for an answer. She also loosens the reigns and stops pulling on the bit, so Sugar Magnolia can be more comfortable.
"Yes, we unicorns come in many different colors as well. They are the same colors as horses in your world. Our horns are all alike though, that is why we look like horses in your world. Our horns are of each color yet none at all, that is why most people can't see them."

"So, why can I see it?" Marika inquires curiously.

"Have you been taught about imagination?"

"Oh yes, my parents answer a lot of my questions by using that word. Like when I ask them what I should paint about. Or when I ask them how I can have nice dreams."

"See, that is why you can see my horn. To the other riders in your class I am just an Appaloosa mix. However, you never lost the imagination that all humans are born with, yet teach each other to unlearn."

Marika ponders this answer silently.

"So, how can you talk to me with that bit in your mouth?"

"I am talking to you by using my mind. I don't need my mouth to speak like the people do in your world. Matter of fact, if you notice, right now you are not using your lips either."

"So, what is your world like?" Marika inquires.

"Would you like to see?"

"Oh, yes, please! What do I have to do?"

"Just close your eyes. See the golden arch in front of you with the emerald green vines around it? Just guide me through it and you will see!"

Marika closes her eyes and feels the secure gentle gait on Sugar Magnolia's warm soft back. Her horseback riding teacher would call it a collected walk. However, all thoughts of her teacher disappear as she guides Magnolia through the arch.

"You can open your eyes now!"

Marika does so and gazes around in wonder. There is a rainbow and pink fluffy clouds are draped on the background of an azure blue sky. A crystal blue stream weaves its way through emerald green, lush foliage. As Marika takes a deep breath from all the excitement, she notices that the air smells . . . she is not sure how to describe it. It somehow reminds her of an aroma of cookies baking, the scent of fresh flowers in a meadow, and her Mom's favorite perfume - all rolled into one.
As she looks closer, she sees other creatures. A lot of them are kept airborne by wonderful delicate wings with all the colors of the rainbow; in all sizes. Sweet music fills the air. She recognizes some parts being played by flute, because it's the instrument Marika started to play this summer.

"Wow! This is just what I thought it would be like!"

"Indeed!" Sugar Magnolia responds. Now that I have taken you to this place once, I have given you the secret key and you can come back here anytime by picturing the arch with the vines that we came through."

"Are there other unicorns here?" Marika asks.

"Yes, there are. But they only show themselves to the persons that have the special keys that belong to them."

"Thank you so much!"

"Mariiiikaaaaaa! You are supposed to jog! You need to kick the horse if she does not obey your signals the first three times! Marika, do you hear me? And don't slouch, you need to sit straight up!"

Miss Sally's voice echoes through the woods as she shouts out her instructions.

Marika jerks upright, to the disapproving frowns of the parents who showed up this Sunday afternoon to watch their kids ride in the ring at the Mulberry Acres stable. Her eyes come to rest on her Mom's face, who smiles at her knowingly and with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?