Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Blind Date



Mark put the stethoscope around his neck, grabbed the first chart and flipped through it just as a familiar voice shouted his name. He groaned inwardly.

“Here we go again. Round six,” he muttered before turning to see his cousin’s impish face smiling up at him. He loved Cindy to pieces, but he was starting to regret getting her a job at the hospital, his hospital. It wouldn’t be so bad if she could stop with her incessant inquiries into his non-existent love life. He thought about this impending encounter and had devised a plan of sorts. He would try a diversionary tactic. It worked in war, so why not with family?

“Hey, Cutie, how are you this morning? Dave watch the game last night? He owes me a c-note. Told him the Broncos would get clobbered. He never listens,” Mark said casually.

“Is that why he was grumpy all night? I thought he didn’t like dinner,” she said cheerfully. Mark had never known someone who could be so happy all the time. She was a bit annoying that way, at least to the other nurses on his floor, but that’s what he loved especially about her. He tweaked her nose as he had done since they were tiny tots.

“What you make for dinner?” he asked still hoping to divert this talk away from all things love related.

“Macaroni and cheese, the real stuff. I used Aunt Molly’s recipe,” she replied proudly.

He frowned. “You don’t love me at all! You know how much I love my mom’s mac and...”   He stopped when she shoved a large square container into his hands.  “Uh...never mind. I love you, too.” he said and eagerly pulled the cover off and dug his fingers into it. He chewed appreciatively. “That’s great stuff. Just like Mom’s.”

Cynthia giggled and kissed his cheek. “Love you, too,” she said. “I have a surprise for you.”

This instantly set off warning bells.

“I gotta go do my rounds, kid. Tell me at lunch,” he said, swiftly moving down the hall. With difficulty she kept up with his long-legged strides.

“Mark, you have to do this huge, gigantic favor for me,” she said.

He stared at her narrowing his eyes. “This a bribe?” he asked scathingly, indicating the mac and cheese in his hand.

“Depends on how you look at it. It’s a favor for me, but I’m certain it will do you some good, too. If you think about it, it’s really more of a favor for you,” she said grinning up at him.

Oh, here it comes, he thought.

“I want you to take out my very best friend,” Cynthia said casually.

He shoved the container of food back into her hands. “Forget it, Cindy. I don’t do blind dates anymore,” he snapped.

“It’s not blind,” she said, shoving it back at him. “You’ve met her a dozen times. She and her husband have...”

“You’re setting me up with a married woman?” he bellowed, incredulous.

“Course not! She’s widowed just like you. It’s Trudy. You remember her and her husband Charlie. They’ve been to my house a million times when you were there.”

“No, I don’t,” he said gruffly continuing down the corridor.

“Of course you do. Charlie owned the marina by the lake. Charlie Jacobson.”

He stopped dead in his tracks. “He died? Oh...that’s so sad. He was such a nice guy,” he said his brows furrowed now.

“So, you’ll remember Trudy. She’s been devastated since he died. It was so sudden,” Cynthia said sadly.

“No, I don’t, honestly. I never met his wife,” he said.

“You have to! She’s blond and so sweet and....”

“She’s got a great personality, blah-blah-blah. Yeah, I know the story. You said that about the mud wrestler named Rocky, too,” he growled.

“That was Dave’s doing,” she said adamantly. “I didn’t know her.”

“Forget it, Cindy. I’m off dating,” he said.  “I’m not too keen on getting my arm twisted again for a goodnight kiss and a promise for a tumble in the sack once my rash is gone.”

“What rash?” Cynthia asked anxiously.

“The one I made up to get away from Rocky,” he said. “The answer’s NO.”

“No, it’s not, Mark. I already told her you’d be there tonight to take her out. You can’t back out or she’ll just waste away and she really needs this, Mark. She’s so depressed. It’s heartbreaking. It took me this long to get her to agree to go with you. It’s so weird. She didn’t remember you either. She’s just like you. She's so wrapped up in Charlie even after this long, that nothing else matters.”

“It’s not that long to us. I still miss Patty, Cindy. You’ll never understand and I don’t wish it on you. You should just leave us both alone. We both had it great with our spouses and now...dating's useless. We can’t find anyone close to decent let alone anything near what we had before. I know cuz I’ve tried,” he told her fiercely. “Dating sucks big time. I quit.”

She glared up at him and snatched the macaroni and cheese out of his hand. “You quit after tonight, if you know what's good for you!” she snapped. She held up her hand to stop him. “No, you listen, Bud. Trudy’s my best friend, the sister I never had. I love her dearly and I want her happy again. You will take her to a movie tonight or you’ll get no more food from me...EVER. And I’m not kidding.”

He stood frozen. She’d never ever threatened that. “Cindy....” he pleaded.

“Seven tonight. Be there or you’ll have me to contend with. I will not have Trudy treated like a barroom tramp either. She’s a high class lady. Take her to the French Manor for dinner first and I’ll feed you everyday for a month. I’ll see you later,” she said, before turning on her heel and swiftly stalking off down the hallway.

“Great,” he grumbled. He sighed and resigned himself to the task for tonight. Maybe, he thought hopefully, Trudy would back out of it and they’d both be off the hook.

He hung to that hope until he stood outside Trudy’s door. He knocked softly and wished she would pretend she wasn’t home.

Trudy opened the door and fastened her large, terrified blue eyes on his.

“Damn,” he said, but not because she opened the door. He’d never seen anything so gorgeous in his life. How could he have missed seeing her with Charlie? They stared at each other wordlessly for what seemed an eternity.

“Um...Mark?” she said tremulously. He nodded mutely. “You’re Cindy’s cousin?” she asked cautiously. Again he nodded. “I’m sorry. She said we had met before but I don’t remember.”

“I met Charlie. I was so sorry to hear he’s gone. I really liked him,” he said sympathetically. “Cindy said you knew my wife.”

“Yes, I so liked Patty. She was so funny. I’m very sorry,” she said sadly. They stared at each other as silence ensued.

Mark roused himself and said calmly, “Well, I thought we could go to the French Manor for dinner and...”

“I don’t have sex,” she blurted out suddenly. She then blushed crimson, twisted her hands and bit her lip.

He gaped open-mouthed. She was so adorable standing before him looking like a sixteen year old girl on her first date. She was obviously scared to death of him. He slowly smiled. “Good to know. I once got my arm twisted until I promised I would. Luckily she may have forgotten about me by now.”

She looked up at him, confusion evident. He waved a dismissive hand and bracingly added  “Long story.”

“I....I haven’t dated in twenty-two years. I don’t know anything about what’s expected and even if I did I still won’t do it. I’m very old-fashioned,” she said adamantly.

Relief flushed through him like an intoxicating tonic. “Finally, a woman I can handle. No pressure. I like it already,” he replied.  “So...is dinner okay?” he asked tentatively.

She looked either ready to faint or to slam the door in his face. He couldn’t really tell. But now Mark was hoping she wouldn’t back out. She had him intrigued. He held out his hand and said “I promise. I won’t bite. Cindy would kill me if I even breathed too hard around you. And she’ll know too without anyone telling her. She’s kinda spooky that way.”

She giggled nervously and shyly  took his hand. Grabbing her shawl and purse, she closed the door and stepped out into the dark with him. He helped her into his car and ran around to his side.

Excitement bubbled up within him. If this went well, and he was definitely going to try to make that happen, he would have to buy Cindy a diamond tennis bracelet with matching earrings. She wasn’t kidding about the favor being mostly for him.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?